I can't even begin to tell you how absolutely incredible this past weekend was at Lost Valley Ranch. On Friday we left the "big" city behind... put on our cowboy hats, chaps and boots and headed for the mountains. We stayed in "our" cabin, Ponderosa Pine (which we have officially claimed as ours :-)". It is a far cry from the pioneer days of roughing it but with no telephones, tv, cell phone reception or cable. It is quite a change for us...a GOOD change!
As Clint and I unpacked, Jax and Gav threw on their cowboy boots and hat and headed down to the corral and said hello to all the ranch dogs. Miss Maggie, their favorite, a Saint Bernard was there to greet them. The boys hiked around looking for snakes to catch and then we headed to dinner. All meals are served in the dining room and all the guests eat together. It was so great to see so many familiar faces of families we saw the year before. The boys recognized all the other kids and instantly were off playing..as though they knew these kids all their lives! People come from all over...Canada, Chicago, Florida. I don't think there was one person there that we did not like. Truly we are one BIG family while we are all there. After dinner Friday night, the staff put on Melodrama in the Hayloft Opera house...another name for a room off the barn. It was very funny.
The meals at the ranch were all excellent...too good. I think we have all come home several pounds heavier! The cook is from Italy and prepared meals like BBQ ribs, brisket, lasagna, fried chicken, and of course all the fixin's freshly made...nothing store bought...everything from scratch. These dishes are usually NOT my first choice and they were all delicious! They also have a baker who made freshly baked cinnamon rolls ( Mom, you would have been in heaven) a fresh berry Tarimisu that was outstanding and of course freshly baked cookies and brownies that were off the charts!
The riding began early Saturday morning...and we were all assigned our horses for the weekend. Jax was on Cash, Gavin was on Stinky, Clint was on Duke and I was on Wildflower. Funny how the names kinda matched the riders don't ya think??? Lol!!!! The boys did great the first ride out to Three Finger Jake's Cave. They rode like true cowboys trotting and riding in the river. I was soooo proud of them. Gavin was a bit skeptical trotting last year...but this year he loved it! Here is a little clip of them riding (double click on the links). Clint and I would ride with the kiddos in the morning and then I would go off riding on a more advanced ride in the afternoon.
The highlight of my trip was when I was on an afternoon ride with two other woman ( I rode with last year) and the head wrangler (who is not hard on the eyes:-). We had rode up to an absolutely beautiful spot called "Table Rock," a huge rock that looked out over the valley. Our wrangler said "Ladies, I spy a cow." We all looked... and across a couple of valleys we could see some cows. He said " Ladies, are you ready to do some work?" Yup, three little suburban cowbelles were jumping over trees, climbing the steepest terrain, crossing all sorts of ditches, running through streams herding the cattle (most of the cattle were moms and their babies but there was one bull that they have been missing for quite some time.) It was AWESOME!!!!! I think I have dreamed of this moment my whole life. I had to laugh as all the cows were mooing and running...WOW!!! I will never forget it! Our wrangler said normally guests can't bring in the cattle and they need to send in other wranglers. We got the job done!!! Brought them all the way back to the ranch! So cool! But I still can't walk today....my legs and rear are soooooo sore!
After the cattle drive we all went to dinner and to the the square dance. The boys dressed up in their fancy chaps, hats and boots and charmed all the ladies. They did great! Dancing with everyone. Clint even got out there this year (don't tell him I told you :-). It was blast!!!
The next day we did some more riding and the boys did some fishing. They didn't catch any fish but did manage to catch a little bull snake. So they were thrilled! That night there was a hayride out to the jail were we had a BBQ dinner and another show. The boys are still singing the songs they learned and trying to put on some of the funny skits the staff put on for us:-)
The weekend was just incredible. As you can tell I could go on forever. I don't think you can actually get the true feel of Lost Valley until you go yourself. But we just love it. Next year granny said she will go. It is such a special place and reminds us how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful place. Clint and I have made a vow to make it a family tradition to go at least once a year. To see the boys excitement and smiles on their faces was so wonderful. The memories they will have from this experience make it all worth it. The boys told us they would rather go to Lost Valley than Hawaii or the Broadmoor...well...that about says it all!!!!
As you all can probably tell, Cam Jam stayed behind because of his arm. Next year will be his year as well. We have already booked our cabin so a promise is a promise!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment